Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Substrate Debate

        Most websites can agree that dirt, bark or regular outdoor sand is not appropriate for Leopard Geckos . When Leopard Geckos hunt crickets they could possibly swallow this substance and harm themselves. That is why fake turf, or Calcium sand is recommended. I have used both. And can maybe help you make a decision.
        I first started with calcium sand shortly after we got our lizards. We had white sand for a long time and had no problem with it other than it would get very dirty with cricket parts and in her "restroom corner". My boyfriend decided to switch our female to the light blue colored sand. This was a stunning substrate, I loved the way it brought colors out in my Leopard Gecko. I did have one problem with the Calcium sand, which is why I no longer use it. The color rubbed off on my lizard. She developed a blue stain on her legs and belly from the sand. At first I just thought she had sand on her, but now I realize that she actually had the dye from the blue color soaking into her skin. I do not think it is that toxic but I switched the substrate to the fake turf immediately. She does not like it as much, but it is much safer and the blue has faded and been shed off over time. It is not as pretty. I recommended using reptile moss to spruce it up a little bit. There are two colors. You can see the options in my article here.

http://halleyscometscienceandlife.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-perfect-pet-for-kids.html

No comments:

Post a Comment